- 6th Grade General Music
This class meets twice a week for the entire school year.
The objective of the 6th Grade Classroom Music curriculum is to give the student a foundation in the history of music from the classical and modern eras and to provide experience performing on electronic keyboards and other instruments.
- The Star Spangled Banner/War of 1812
- Instruments of the Orchestra/Development of the Keyboard
- Program Music and Absolute Music
- Opera and Rock Opera/The Who’s Tommy
6.1 Students will move to, perform, name and write rhythm patterns.
6.2 Students will listen to and respond to music.
6.3 Students will sing songs that were learned by rote or read from notation.
6.4 Students will perform on electronic keyboards and other acoustic instruments demonstrating skill and ability to play tonal and rhythm patterns; rote songs; and to create and improvise music.
6.5 Students will learn to recognize and perform music from notation.
6.6 Students will listen and respond to music with a knowledge-based answer (see specific units listed above).
Grades will be issued each quarter based upon achievement on written tests, in-class performances and worksheets. Grades will be A, B, C, D, F.
Evaluation procedures for Sixth Grade General Music Classes:
1. Evaluation of student response to oral questions.
2. Written tests
4. Performance on keyboards and other instruments
5. Keeping a daily workbook/journal
Course Requirements and Recommendations:
• Students should bring a pencil or other writing implement to class each day. All other materials will stay in class and will be provided by instructor.
• An electronic or acoustic piano is recommended but not required. Students will be encouraged to practice music outside of school.
The 6th Grade General Music website supports music learning and class notes will be posted.
1. Go the HMS website (www.haverford.k12.pa.us and select Middle School)
2. Click on eFaculty
3. Click Gittelman, Mr. Alexander.
4. In the Navigation bar, choose 6th Grade General Music
I am available after school to assist students who need help learning keyboard or help with the class concepts presented in class. Please email me or speak to me in class to set up a time for extra help.
How to contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org
I check email often and will do my best to get back to you ASAP