Dear Parents and Guardians of Students in Haverford School District,
Our students are supplied with a Haverford Google Drive account.
Haverford Google Drive is a set of online tools for document storage, communication, and collaboration, provided by Google to the district at no cost. These tools include:
- Google Drive: a word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and drawing program that allows multi-user access and editing
- Gmail: a full functioning e-mail program – restricted to the Haverford staff and students only
- Calendar: a customizable calendar and to-do list
- Contacts: an address book
All of these tools are housed on the Internet and can be accessed from any Internet-connected device. No special software is required.
Our primary reasons for supplying these tools to students are:
- To give our students practice in using current technology applications and tools
- To give students the ability to work on common, no-cost tools on their own documents both at school and outside of school
- To facilitate “paperless” transfer of work between students and teachers
- To provide storage space for student work
- To help students work collaboratively
- To provide access to student work from any device they may use, computer, iPod, iPad, cell phone, etc.
To ensure the safety of our students, Haverford student domains are “closed.” This means that students can only email and share documents with their teachers and other students within the district. The applications also have spam filtering enabled.
Library media specialists, teachers and technology staff will be reviewing our district’s acceptable use policy and Internet safety guidelines when they introduce these tools to students. Using online tools responsibly will be an important part of the learning experience.
Please ask your student about this resource and have him/her demonstrate how it works to you. If you have questions about Haverford’s Google Drive, please contact Laurie VanTrieste, the Middle School Technology Coordinator, or Sheli Hay, the Middle School Library Media Specialist
Google Drive Parent Signature Page
* Please sign and return the completed form below to your child’s homeroom teacher
_____ I give permission for my child to have a Google account with Haverford School District.
_____ I do not want my child to have a Google Account with Haverford School District. (You will need to provide your students with an alternate way to save files (flash drive).)