6th Grade Camp Canadensis 2020
Information Is Here!!
Payment Due Dates:
First Payment - November 15, 2019 ($85)
Second/Final Payment - February 7, 2020 ($85)
February 23, 2020
Dear 6th-grade Families:
Our Camp Canadensis plans are well underway, and we are excited for a great trip this year! If you haven't already, please submit your final payment to Mrs. D'Avella in the 6th-grade office. If you would like to know your balance, please email Mrs. D'Avella (email@example.com).
Please visit the Camp Canadensis section of the HMS website periodically between now and Memorial Day (May 25th) to view updates about our camping trip.
Students not attending Camp Canadensis will have the opportunity to participate in similar activities at Camp Haverford. More information about Camp Haverford will be available to parents in early May.
6th-grade Assistant Principal HMS Scheduler
Supervisor of Athletics
Haverford Middle School
610-853-5900 ext. 5561
Dear Sixth Grade Parents/Guardians:
The plans for the annual 6th grade Camp Canadensis Trip, on Wednesday, May 27, Thursday, May 28, and Friday, May 29, 2020, are well under way. The 6th grade staff planned many interesting indoor and outdoor activities for this integrated environmental experience in the Pocono Mountains. The goal is that each sixth grader will become more aware of the delicate balance that exists in the natural environment and how to respect it.
The total cost of the Camp Canadensis trip is $170.00 and includes lodging, food, transportation and the use of the camp facility. The following are important deadlines and procedures for the camp payment and form submission. Families experiencing financial hardships, please contact Mr. Matthew Crater, ext. 5561.
- Due November 15, 2019:
Extended School Trips form (2 sided)
Student Contract form
First payment of $85.00 in the form of check or money order only made payable to Haverford Middle School
- Due February 7, 2020:
- Final payment of $85.00 in the form of check or money order only made payable to Haverford Middle School
In addition, all 6th grade physical forms, which were due to the Haverford Middle School Nurse, Mrs. Rene Madigosky, ext. 5102 by September 30, 2019, must be on file in order for a student to attend camp.
The sixth grade staff believes that participation in the camping trip is a student privilege that must be earned through classroom cooperation, quality effort, and acceptable school behavior. Students who fail to follow the school discipline procedures may lose their privilege to attend the Camp Canadensis trip. Encouragement of positive behavior at home and at school helps to nourish positive results for all involved.
If you are interested in being a camp chaperone, please plan to attend one of the following mandatory information nights. The meeting will be in our school library.
- Monday, November 4, 2019 at 5:00 pm
- Monday, November 11, 2019 at 5:00 pm
DROP-OFF AND PICK-UP TIMES FOR CAMP - DO NOT PARK IN BUS LANE!
Wednesday, May 27: Arrive at HMS – 6:20 AM - 6:30 AM
Buses leave at 7:00 AM sharp!
Friday, May 29: Pick-up at HMS - 3:30/4:00 PM. Please make arrangements for prompt pick-up/car pooling.
Thank you for your support of this long-standing sixth grade activity.
Camp Canadensis Trip Coordinators
Mr. Matthew Crater, Assistant Principal
Mrs. Trish Young
Mrs. Michelle D’Avella
Fees for Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check and Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance will be waived for volunteers. Canadensis chaperones are considered volunteers.
Volunteers may submit an Affidavit in lieu of the FBI check if a Pennsylvania resident for the last ten (10) years.
For those who wish to be a School Volunteer, state law now requires the Pennsylvania Criminal History Record (Act 34), Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 151) and FBI Federal Criminal History Record check and that they be updated every five (5) years in order to continue as a volunteer. Clearances must be less than one year old at the time of submission. Original forms must be brought to the office of the school where you will volunteer and they will be forwarded to the District‘s central administrative offices for review. There is now an alternative to the FBI check if you have resided in Pennsylvania for the last ten years. Please see below for the link to the Affidavit you need to submit.
The process can be initiated online and produces clearances quickly. Please follow the links below for each of the three (3) clearances.
- The Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check can be done online with almost immediate confirmation. Volunteers are no longer required to pay a fee after July 25, 2015.
- Go to https://epatch.state.pa.us and click on “Submit a New Record Check” and follow the instructions. Please select “Volunteer” as the Reason for Request. At the end of the process, please print the certification form as proof of submission.
- The Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance can be completed online for the quickest result.
- Go to https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS . You will create a login for your Keystone ID#. This includes a combination of letters and numbers you create for yourself. A credit card is required for the $10 processing fee.
The FBI Federal Criminal History Record requires a 2-step process including online registration and fingerprinting taken digitally at a registered site. However, if you have been a Pennsylvania resident for the past ten (10) years, and have not been convicted of enumerated offenses, you may submit the Affidavit at this link, in lieu of the FBI fingerprinting check.
- Go to https://www.pa.cogentid.com/index_pdeNew.htm or by phone at 1-888-439-2486 (M-F 8 AM-6 PM) to register. Please be sure to choose the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) when registering. There is a $27 fee for this clearance which includes an automatic mailed unofficial copy of the results to the applicant.
- Once you have registered, proceed to an approved fingerprinting site to be digitally fingerprinted. A list of approved locations is available on the Cogent website. Please note the UPS Store in Wynnewood is a drop-in site for fingerprints (no appointment required). Your Registration Number starting with “PAE…” must be provided to the school office so your results can be retrieved.
Please bring all clearance documentation in a sealed envelope with your name along with the completed chaperone application to Mrs. D’Avella in the Sixth Grade Office.