Select the month to download a copy of the weekly announcements
- A short week but so much learning occurring, and the students are becoming more comfortable with the online platform!
- Haverford Township School Board Meeting has been moved to Monday Night, September 21, at 7:30 to discuss plans for athletics and the planning for hybrid classes at the Districts' schools.
- The Powerschool parent portal has been updated. The reset password feature does not work. Tomorrow a letter will be emailed to parents to help create the parent portal account. If you set up an account in years past, disregard tomorrow's email. If you forgot your password, then email email@example.com. This will take a few days to email you a new password. Please continue to ask your students to log in and show you their grades. Students will receive a letter tomorrow with their student login too.
- Minding Your Mind Assemblies went much better than expected. Our guest speaker did a fantastic job engaging the students and providing tips on dealing with anxiety and depression. His tips ran the gamut of a one-time event to a continual issue. The students asked many well though questions about how to work with anxiety, stress, depression, and COVID issues. https://mindingyourmind.org/
- Senior Common Application Lunch and Learns on September 21 FROM 10:40 until 11:20 and much more in the September Guidance Newsletter.
Check out this video from our Guidance Department The College Application Process and Naviance Presentation.mp4. See the guidance area below for more information. The same newsletter and video are posted below. For those that prefer a YouTube link https://youtu.be/1P96s7fLOeo
- We will remove the technology links below after this email.
- Central League Athletic Directors met today to propose a competition plan for fall athletics to begin in October. As we get details and revise our athletic safety plan, we will update you and the fall athletes.
- Here is a link to https://www.haverford.k12.pa.us/2020-21-school-year to assist with the opening of schools throughout the Haverford School District. We are working to bring the students back to school in our hybrid model. Our Life Skills students return next week to HHS!
- We are off tomorrow, Friday, September 18, due to the Rosh Hashanah Holiday. Happy Holiday to all those celebrating. All buildings will be closed on Friday, September 18.
Have A Wonderful Weekend! Go Fords!
Hybrid Transition Plan
Our life skills students transitioned back to school this week and have done a wonderful job acclimating back to the building and adhering to all COVID safety procedures.
We continue to work on our plans to return to the building in a hybrid model. Stay tuned for more details on transitioning back to school in next week's email.
Technology Help and Tips
- Our unwanted visitors to class has almost ceased entirely. We will continue to keep our rooms free of unwanted guests. Please do not share your accounts with anyone except your parents/guardians.
- Teachers will not be letting late students into class. So, strongly encourage your student to be in class on time. Students late to class for a legitimate reason should call (610) 853-5900 x 2000 to be let into class. We have already taken precautions for our Minding Your Mind large assembly that will take place this Tuesday and Wednesday.
- IF YOUR ZOOM OR TEACHER'S ZOOM DOES NOT WORK for a class or a day due to a storm or outage, please proceed and complete all Canvas work for that day as soon as you can log back on to your computer. Call (610) 853-5900 x 2000. You will be assisted on how to get logged back into class.
- Please use your correct full name when logging into class. We need to take attendance daily per The State of Pennsylvania Department of Education.
- Please turn your camera on so you can be fully engaged in class.
We have put together several video tutorials for canvas at https://www.haverford.k12.pa.us/departments/technology-services/canvas-help
If you would like to create an observer account so that you can sign in to Canvas without using your student's login information, you can follow the below directions:
Zoom will be used for live classroom sessions as well as other small group meetings.
When students click on a Zoom meeting link, it will open Zoom on their Chrome device, and they will be put into a waiting room until the teacher admits them. This is done to keep unwanted participants from joining a meeting or the next class from joining before their time.
Please review the following meeting netiquette information with your student before the first day of school.
General Tech Support Links
How Do I Get Tech Support?
Call: 610-853-5951 (Leave a voicemail, Technology will call you back)
All students must be present in class daily. Please report to your teacher and grade level Assistant Principal any technological issues. If a student is not in a class, the teacher is instructed to mark them absent. If a student's Internet goes out and reboots, then call the main office at (610) 853-5900 x 2000 to get your student get back into class. You can use the Safe Arrival APP for any absence or doctor's appointment. Or email Kathy Leyden, Attendance Clerk @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Phone Number for HHS
Call (610) 853-5900 x 2000 to contact any main office personnel. The office is open from 7 am to 3 pm daily.
Kathryn Schnyder and Pat Novino, Guidance Secretaries, will answer your question or route you to the appropriate counselor/administrator.
PSAT for Freshmen through Juniors MOVED UNTIL JANUARY 26.
September SAT SCHOOL DAY test takers for the September 23 Test were sent a practice booklet and preliminary directions to their email. They will receive an email with their room number. The test will begin at 8:05. Please enter through the main entrance and arrive at 7:50. All test takers should report with their check made out to Haverford High School, pencils, calculator, and mask.
September Guidance Newsletter
As we begin this year and the post-high school application process, the Counseling Department would like to share the following resources with you:
A copy of your unofficial transcript will be sent to you next week with your classes for the 2020-2021 School Year. Reach out to your counselor by 9/12/2020 to indicate if any changes are needed.
A link to the High School Counseling website has many resources, including the Transcript Request Instructions and new video tutorials, including How do I know if I need a teacher or counselor letter of recommendation? https://www.haverford.k12.pa.
A link to the Transcript Request Permission form (Remember this must be completed before requesting transcripts.) https://docs.google.com/forms/
d/e/1FAIpQLSeXz_- AkujkJkCQCGFmP0fY0Fsbz34ZXzTcy zH8GF8uV6imjA/viewform?usp=sf_ link
Remember to review the resources in the shared google folder named "Post High School Planning Class of 2021."
The Transcript Request link in Naviance is open.
Log into Naviance to review the list of virtual college visits scheduled for HHS students.
NACAC virtual college fairs. Visit https://virtualcollegefairs.
org/ to register. Fairs are October 12, October 18, and November 8.
If you still need to take the SAT, Haverford will offer the SAT during the school day on October 14. Please email Ms. Schnyder in the Counseling Office at email@example.com to register.
Central League Athletic Directors met today to propose a competition plan for fall athletics to begin in October. As we get details and revise our athletic safety plan, we will update you and the fall athletes. See the message from Ms. Robtison from earlier in the week.
On Monday, September 14, 2020, the Chester County Health Department revised its public and private school guidance for athletics. The new guidance has removed the Health Department's recommendation to postpone competitions until January 1, 2021. The superintendents and principals in the Central league recognize the significance of the department's revision. The Central League will be meeting in the next week to discuss the impact of the change on creating possible alternative schedules for athletes to compete as well as any considerations for fall athletics to begin prior to January 2021.
The Central League is committed to working closely with the PIAA and District One to provide our student-athletes an opportunity to participate in interscholastic competitions. We will keep you updated as we learn more in the coming week.
PIAA Forms Link Click Here.
The Fordian-School Newspaper
Any student who is interested in contributing to our school newspaper, The Fordian, can contact Elizabeth Wolfe (firstname.lastname@example.org), Sophia Khan (email@example.com), or Mrs. Fish (firstname.lastname@example.org). Writers, photographers, and artists are all welcome! Please visit thefordian.com and follow @hhsfordian on Instagram to see new articles.
Items for Sale
1) "H" Magnets-Does your car have H Pride? We have 60 "H" Magnets for sale for $5. Email Chris McCormick @ email@example.com or call (610) 853-5900 x 2510.
2) The HHS Golf Team is kicking off a year-long campaign to support students in our district who are battling cancer. We're beginning by selling hats for $25 (two or more for $40). Efforts will support other families in our district. To purchase a hat, please email Nate Oxman, varsity golf coach, at firstname.lastname@example.org. IMG_6673.jpg
3) Haverford Boys' Lax Flag Sale
The 3 x 5 Silk Flags will be delivered to your residence. $30 Venmo @HaverfordBOYS-Lacrosse and leave your address.