The School District of Haverford Township recognizes that student wellness and proper nutrition are related to students’ physical well-being, growth, development, and readiness to learn. The Board is committed to providing a school environment that promotes student wellness, proper nutrition, nutrition education and promotion and regular physical activity as part of the total learning experience. In a healthy school environment, students will learn about and participate in positive dietary and lifestyle practices that can improve student achievement.
The focus of the School Wellness Committee is to support healthy students through education, food and nutrition, physical activity and student wellness.
In the Spring of 2017, the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) required all schools districts to adopt a School Wellness Policy. Policy requirements included:
- Establishing a wellness committee to support the implementation of the policy and triennially assess the policy
- Providing quality physical education
- Adhering to USDA standards for food services and competitive foods
- Adhering to Smart Snack® guidelines for fundraisers and classroom celebrations
- Providing nutrition education and modeling healthy behaviors
School Board Policy 246
Wellness Goals Presentation