Student Work Permit (Working Papers)

The Pennsylvania Child Labor Law (CLL) was enacted to "provide for the health, safety, and welfare of minors by forbidding their employment or work in certain establishments and occupations, and under certain specified ages." The CLL requires minors to obtain work permits prior to beginning work. This law, with the exception of farm work or domestic service in a private home, covers work in any establishment other than the minor's residence. 

The Child Labor Law procedures serve as a guide and summary of the major provisions of the Pennsylvania Child Labor Act. Questions pertaining to compliance with employment laws and regulations should be directed to the L&I Bureau of Labor Law Compliance.

If you have any questions or would like to apply for a Student Work Permit (Working Papers) please email Sheron Brown-Greene, Secretary, Oakmont Administration Building at 


Regulations for Student Hours of Employment:
Ages 14 & 15 (Transferable Working Permit):
* Maximum of 3 hours on a school day (18 hours in a school week)
* Maximum of 8 hours on a non-school day (40 hours in a non-school week)
* May not work after 7pm or before 7am during the school term (may work until 9pm during summer vacation
Ages 16 & 17 (Transferable Working Permit):
* Maximum of 8 hours on any given day (28 hours Monday through Friday plus an additional 8 hours on Saturday and 8 hours on Sunday – maximum 44 hours per week)
* May not work after midnight Sunday through Thursday or before 6am any day (may work until 1am on a night preceding a non-school day)
Where to obtain PA State Working Papers:
If you live within the Haverford Township School District, you may obtain an application on-line or at the Oakmont Administration Office at 50 East Eagle Road, Havertown, PA 19083 between the hours of 8:30-4:15pm, Monday through Friday. (Summer hours, 8:30-3:45pm). For more information, please call (610) 853-5900 ext. 7000.
Instructions for work permit application:
* When a parent/guardian is acquiring working paper without the student present, parent/guardian must sign the APPLICATION which the school district keeps on file for when the student returns with their I.D.
* If parent/guardian accompanies the student, parent/guardian must sign the completed APPLICATION for the student to receive the work permit with a form of identification. The student should bring their Student ID in addition to legal documentation showing the minor's birth date (i.e. birth certificate, driver's license/learner's permit, passport, or baptismal certificate).
Important Notice: Any student hired by the School District of Haverford Township must get a TB (Tuberculosis) test as a requirement for employment.