Chestnutwold Elementary School eMailer
May 8, 2019
Please visit Chestnutwold’s website for more exciting news and information about events both past and present.
Our website has been updated to show the great activities and work being done at Chestnutwold. Take a look
using the link below: https://www.haverford.
- “Evening of the Arts” at Chestnutwold
- Thursday, May 9th, 6:00PM
- Join your Chestnutwold school community in celebrating our student artists. See how our parent volunteers have transformed Chestnutwold into a majestic collection of music and art. Each student in our school community has been invited to make and share a piece for display. Thank you parent volunteers for making this possible.
- The evening begins with a charismatic musical performance. Our students sing assorted songs and play their recorders in front of over one hundred audience members.
- Our musicians’ show will be followed by one of the area’s finest student art gallery walks. Stay to tour our halls and enjoy the creative product on display. Let the pleasurable sights sink in. Be amazed by the work our students have produced.
- This is possible thanks to the efforts of our parent volunteers. Just one hour of volunteer service to the school community given by each adult in the school community makes the impossible seem ordinary. Stay involved.
- This is one of our most celebrated evenings on the calendar. We look forward to you joining us.
- Earth Day Celebrations as part of our STEAM project
- Delegates visited Haverford’s CREC on May 1stto work on the grounds and learn about the local ecosystem.
- Third grade visited the CREC on Friday, May 3rd, to learn how they can support the local animals and their habitat.
- Fourth grade is heading to Riverbend on Friday, May 10thto learn about the natural habitat and what we can do to support it.
- Career Day for fourth grade students is Wednesday, May 15th
- Our students wrote invitations to professionals in various fields in the hopes they will come to Chestnutwold as their guest to share stories about their career, and inspire interest in pursuing it.
- Artist in Residence at Chestnutwold
- Friday, May 17th
- Local award winning artist, Mr. Matt Phelan, will be our Artist in Residence this year. We are privileged to have Mr. Phelan as a Chestnutwold community member, and excited that we have the opportunity to host his visit to our school.
- “Matt Phelan is the award-winning creator of the middle-grade graphic novels Snow White, The Storm in the Barn, Bluffton, and Around the World and the picture book Druthers. He has also illustrated numerous books for children, including The Higher Power of Lucky, Flora’s Very Windy Day, Xander’s Panda Party, and Very Hairy Bear” ~ Harper Collins.
- Mr. Phelan will present small writer’s workshops to our students and share stories that have inspired his playfulwriting style.
- You can learn more about Mr. Phelan here (enjoy the reading): http://www.
- Elementary Track Meet
- Monday, May 20th
- Start time - 3:50’ish, at HHS
- Fourth and fifth grade students from across Haverford School District participate in one of our District’s most prized events
- We look forward to seeing you there!
- Election Day – No school for students
- Tuesday, May 21st
- In-service for teachers and District faculty
- Do not miss your chance to vote!
- Memorial Day – No School on Monday, May 27th
- District schools and offices will be closed
- Early dismissal, Friday May 31st
- In-service for teachers and faculty
- PM Kindergarten reports; No AM Kindergarten
- Students in grade 1 – 5 dismiss at 11:50 AM
- PM Kindergarten dismisses at 11:50 AM
- Music Assembly – City Love
- Local musicians, City Love, visit Chestnutwold on Friday, May 31st.
- City Love is a music and education group from West Philly. They create, “music for the world we need.” They are “educators and musicians who write songs to spread love and hope, and bring people together…”
- City Love: http://www.muchcitylove.
- 24 Tournament at Chestnutwold
- Classroom winners competed with grace in our school’s 24 Tournament on Tuesday, May 7th.
- G5 classroom classroom winners and participants: Adi, Greta, Sam, Yasin, and Jiordano.
- Jiordano took first place in fifth grade
- G4 classroom classroom winners and participants: AJ, Danielle, Andrew, Joey, and Nicholas.
- Joey took first place in fourth grade
- Joey and Jiordano then competed for the school Championship. Congratulations to Jiordano for being crowned our 2019 Chestnutwold School Champion!
- Jiordano moves on to compete in the DE County Championship later this spring.
- Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast
- Chestnutwold is hosting a breakfast for our parent volunteers on Tuesday, June 11th, from 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM.
- Invitations will be sent home by your child’s homeroom teacher.
- We are excited to give back. Thank you for all you do to support our school. Chestnutwold is the great school community thanks to our collective volunteering and consideration. This is a great place to be each day.
- Parents should RSVP to Miss Christine LaBrasca, at: http://clabrasca@haverfordsd.
- Library books
- Last day to borrow books from the Chestnutwold library is Friday, May 31st
- All Chestnutwold library books are to be returned the week of June 3rd
- Safe use of Technology
- Detective Flynn from the Haverford Township Police Department presented “safe use of technology” to our fourth grade students on Friday, May 3rd.
- This activity supplements our guidance program’s initiative.
- Spring is here. Children are playing in the streets.
- Please drive carefully around our school.
- Do not block our neighbor’s driveways.
- Do not park in the car line – please park in the basketball court if needed at arrival and/or dismissal.
- Dogs are not permitted on school grounds during arrival or dismissal.
Aligned to the 11 Principles of Effective Character Education issued by the Character Education Partnership ®, the Character Counts ® program, and findings from multiple sources, our six Chestnutwold Character Kid Traits (ChCK Traits)are: Responsibility, Respect, Empathy, Trustworthiness, Positive attitude, and Integrity.
Chestnutwold, where excellence thrives…
The eMailer content does not always copy onto this web page as originally presented. I regret the formatting issue. Please contact the school office with any questions about the content included in this email. Thank you for your patience.
If you are not receiving this email directly and would like to, please contact the school office by email or phone at (610) 853 – 5900, 8000. It is likely we do not have your correct email in our database.