Chestnutwold Elementary School eMailer
April 25, 2019
Please visit Chestnutwold’s website for more exciting news and information about events both past and present.
Our website has been updated to show the great activities and work being done at Chestnutwold. Take a look
using the link below: https://www.haverford.
- The PSSA for students in grades three through five is scheduled for the following days:
- ELA: Wed., 4/24, Thurs., 4/25, and Fri. 4/26
- MA: Mon., 4/28, and Tues., 4/29
- SCI (G4 only): Thurs., 5/2, and Fri., 5/3
- Make-ups will be scheduled for students who are absent during a section of the PSSA.
- Make up testing will be completed by May 10th.
- More information about the PSSA can be found on our District website: https://www.
haverford.k12.pa.us/ departments/curriculum- instruction/pssa-information
- Testing is about 80 minutes each day.
- Earth Day Celebrations as part of our STEAM project
- Delegates will collaborate with officials at Haverford’s CREC on May 1st to learn about the local ecosystem.
- Third grade is heading to the CREC on Friday, May 3rd to learn how they can support the local animals and their habitat.
- Fourth grade is heading to Riverbend on Friday, May 10th to learn about the natural habitat and what we can do to support it.
- Detective Flynn from the Haverford Township Police Department will present “safe use of technology” to our fourth grade students on Friday, May 3rd.
- This activity supplements our guidance program’s initiative.
- Career Day for fourth grade students is Wednesday, May 15th
- Our students wrote invitations to professionals in various fields in the hopes they will come to Chestnutwold as their guest to share stories about their career, and inspire interest in pursuing it.
- Local award winning artist, Mr. Matt Phelan, will be our Artist in Residence this year. We are privileged to have Mr. Phelan as a Chestnutwold community member and excited that we have the opportunity to host his visit to our school.
- “Matt Phelan is the award-winning creator of the middle-grade graphic novels Snow White, The Storm in the Barn, Bluffton, and Around the World and the picture book Druthers. He has also illustrated numerous books for children, including The Higher Power of Lucky, Flora’s Very Windy Day, Xander’s Panda Party, and Very Hairy Bear” ~ Harper Collins.
- Mr. Phelan will present small writer’s workshops to our students and share stories that have inspired his playful writing style.
- You can learn more about Mr. Phelan here (enjoy the reading): http://www.
- Writing awards
- Julia (G3) and Rose (G5) were recently awarded honors for their writing passages submitted to the DCIU’s Narrative Writing contest.
- Isabella (G3) earned top 10 for her poem in the fall Creative Communication competition.
- Spring is here. Children are playing in the streets.
- Please drive carefully around our school.
- Do not block our neighbor’s driveways.
- Do not park in the car line – please park in the basketball court if needed at arrival and/or dismissal.
- Dogs are not permitted on school grounds during arrival or dismissal.
Aligned to the 11 Principles of Effective Character Education issued by the Character Education Partnership ®, the Character Counts ® program, and findings from multiple sources, our six Chestnutwold Character Kid Traits (ChCK Traits)are: Responsibility, Respect, Empathy, Trustworthiness, Positive attitude, and Integrity.
Chestnutwold, where excellence thrives…
The eMailer content does not always copy onto this web page as originally presented. I regret the formatting issue. Please contact the school office with any questions about the content included in this email. Thank you for your patience.
If you are not receiving this email directly and would like to, please contact the school office by email or phone at (610) 853 – 5900, 8000. It is likely we do not have your correct email in our database.